Sunday, February 8, 2009

10 Commandments: #4

Exodus 20:8-11
"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.


Here we are required to rest every seven days. One thing I'm not sure about is whether the day matters. What I mean by this is, when we Christians have our day of rest on Sunday, I don't know if it's right, or wrong. God rested on the last day of the week, so it only makes sense that the Sabbath was intended to be on Saturday. This is something I've talked about a little with a friend and I really just don't know. Perhaps it's wrong for us to have our day of rest on Sunday. But whenever I think about this, Mark 2:27 always pops into my head. Because of this verse, I feel that the day we choose to take our rest is not as important as making sure we do take a day to rest.

3 comments:

  1. I argree with your last statement. In some latin American countries, Monday is the first day of the week, so it would be difficult to determine the "right" day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts, Melody... True that God rested on the 7th day, but Jesus rose from the dead on the 1st day, so I think that's why our culture rests on the 1st day. Although I agree, it is more important that we do rest than what day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's also important to note what rest means. Often we think of rest as getting away for vacation, watching a movie, reading a good novel, or hanging out with family and friends. And while all these things are fun and good, true rest (and I think the kind spoken of in the Bible) can only be found in Jesus. "Come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest." As for the day, I think you are right on that it isn't important which day. I'm enjoying your blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep in mind that others will read what you write here. It should be edifying; a pleasing aroma to God Most High.