Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving! What does that word bring to mind? Turkey and mashed potatoes both covered with gravy. Green beans, stuffing, rolls, and sweet potatoes. And then the amazing pumpkin pie, cooked to perfection with all the right spices, a dollop of whipped cream on top, and to go with it, a mug of steaming coffee or hot chocolate depending on your preference. All the while laughter is filling the air as stories of holidays past are told and retold.

Nothing could beat that picture of thanks giving. Or could it? Is there something even better that could come to mind when the word thanksgiving is spoken? What does the bible say about it?

The bible has many many verses discussing giving thanks. Some are simply commands to give thanks. But there are also those that tell us how, when, where, and why to give thanks.

Give Thanks

Psalms 100:4, Colossians 1:12, Colossians 3:17, Colossians 3:15, Colossians 4:2, Hebrews 12:28

How to Give Thanks


Psalms 28:7, Psalms 105:1, Psalms 147:7, Isaiah 12:4, 2 Corinthians 4:15, Ephesians 5:20

We are to give thanks by making known to the nations what God has done. We are to call on the name of the Lord and sing songs of praise in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Our thanksgiving should overflow.

When to Give Thanks

Psalms 30:12, Psalms 119:62, Ephesians 5:20

We are to give thanks always and forever. This is emphasized Ps. 119:62 where it tells us to give thanks at midnight. If we are commanded to give thanks at midnight we can know that 'always' is literal. We are to give thanks at all times of the day. This might be confusing to some, for how can we always be thanking God and do other things as well? Though we can not be constantly saying thank you, we can be in a constant state of thanksgiving. One void of grumbling and complaining.

Where to Give Thanks

Psalms 95:2, Psalms 100:4, Psalms 35:18, Isaiah 12:4

We are to give thanks while we stand before God. As we enter His gates, and as are in His courts. And while in the great assembly. If we left it there it would seam that as long as we were not at church or worshiping God is some way, we are 'safe'. We don't have to worry about being thankful. That is why Is. 12:4 is so important. It tells us that we must also give thanks where the nations can see us. That means at school, where peer pressure is overwhelming. On the Job, where fellow employees are watching and may well be critical. Anywhere and everywhere we are, we are commanded to give thanks.

Why to Give Thanks

Psalms 7:17, Psalms 75:1, Psalms 106:1, Psalms 107:1, Psalms 107:15, Psalms 107:21, Psalms 107:31, Psalms 118:1, Psalms 118:21, Psalms 118:28, Psalms 118:29, Psalms 119:62, Psalms 136:1, Psalms 136:2, Psalms 136:3, Psalms 136:26, Isaiah 12:4

We should give thanks because we serve a good, righteous God who's unfailing love endures forever. He is our God and his name is near. His laws are righteous. He answers us and has become our salvation. Isaiah 12:4 tells us why by the phrase, "what He has done". Now of course it is impossible to list all that God has done. His works are to numerous for us to count. I would, however, like to highlight a few. Some that are rather obvious and should be enough of a reason to give thanks even without all the rest.

Genesis 1-2:2

God creates life.

Genesis 6-8

God preserves life.

Luke 2:4-7, John 19:30, Matthew 27:57-28:10

God redeemed life.

Those are just three out of many things that God has done to deserve our thanks. But they alone are awe inspiring and should cause us to give thanks. We must remember what He has done. If we forget, we will cease to be thankful.

So what are you going to do this Thanksgiving? Are you going to think about the feast you'll be eating with family and friends? Or will you put yourself in the spirit of giving thanks, reflecting and contemplating what God has done for you. This is the true reason for the holiday. We as Christians have just lost site of it's true meaning and once again allowed the world to influence our outlook on life. Let's start something old and again appreciate this day as it was meant to be appreciated. And when they day is over, don't stop being thankful. We are called to be thankful everyday of the year, at all hours of the day.

12 comments:

  1. =D Thanks, Mel. That is an awesome post. I've actually been thinking a lot about giving thanks... And how you can do it always. It's really hard. I mean, Not grumbling when told to do laundry?! My mummy asks me if I'm feeling okay. =P Anyways, great post, hon! Keep it up! ~Riah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riah! Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you liked the post. =D
    Yeah, I know it's totally hard. Giving thanks all the time and never grumbling. It's something I'm struggling with a lot. Posting about it and looking up all those verses was a reminder to me how important it really is.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melody, sorry I haven't been responding. I'm going to email you a nice long email soon. Hope you had an awesome holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your warning!! This was my first time at your blog. The warning had a good message. You writing it made we want to know more about you. My blog'Thougts' is all about God, and my other blog, is about what is going on with my life. Come vivit them!

    Lauren ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to your blog through Madison. That was my first time visiting her blog, and I got to Madison's blog through Julia's. I follow Julia's. So that is how I got to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post! This really challenged me to make sure that I am always giving thanks to God no matter what the circimstances. It is so easy to become upset or complain when things don't go the way that I always want them to. But i always remind myself that God has a plan for my life, and no matter what happens to me, God is in Control. Everything that happens to me, even though I may not think that it would be the best thing for me, happens for a reason and in accordance with God's Plan. With that mindset, it makes it easier to give thanks to God in all circumstances. I really like your blog! Thanks for commenting on mine!

    ~Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog. This is the first time I've been to yours; it's really nice. I like what you had to say about giving thanks. It's so easy to forget all there is to be thankful for when something bad happens. Keeping those in thoughts in mind, though, remembering all he has done for us is a lot easier! So many people think of thanksgiving as the day to give thanks. But your right, we should be giving thanks on thanksgiving and everday that we live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just thought I would say awesome blog! I really like it! I'll be checking it regularly!
    Your sister in Christ
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Melody,
    This is Marissa Madison. You may not remember me but we went to orchestra together last semester.
    I played the Violin.
    My sister, Megan, discovered you blog the other day.
    Anyway, if you don't remember that's fine. just thought I would say 'Hi' and that you blog is awesome.
    I hope you don't mind that i follow you :D
    ~Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marissa,
    Yes, I remember you! When Megan found my blog I thought it was really cool! Small blogging world I guess. =D
    I totally don't mind if you follow my blog! I'm going to follow yours too so we can get back in and keep in touch! =D
    It's cool hearing from you! =D

    ~Mel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya it really is a small blogging world :D
    Great! blogging is a pretty fun way to keep in touch
    :-) ttyl

    ~Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it (the followers thing) says I just added. It is because I put them all anonymous to see what that did, and them I put it back to public, so now it is how it is now. Sorry!

    Lauren Ann

    ReplyDelete

Please keep in mind that others will read what you write here. It should be edifying; a pleasing aroma to God Most High.